The Fall brings us many sweet vegetables from butternut squash to pumpkins. I love making pumpkin pies, pumpkin muffins and pumpkin pecan scones.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted organic butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup organic buttermilk
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk for top of scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut butter into small cubes and add to flour mixture. Combine with a pastry blender or your hands until you have a crumbly mixture.
- In separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients: buttermilk, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and combine until moistened.
- On flour surface, form dough into square shape about 6” wide. Cut dough into triangles and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- In small dish, whisk egg yolk with a dash of water or milk. Brush tops of scones with egg wash and sprinkle with organic sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.