Here is an all time American Classic, dialed up a notch on nutrition and flavor!
- 1 lb. brown rice or whole grain elbow pasta
- ½ head organic cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process cauliflower until finely ground. Cook in microwave for six minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, over low heat, bring heavy cream to a low simmer. Stir in cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and Dijon mustard. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Continue to simmer over low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about five minutes.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower and simmer for just another minute. Add in cooked pasta and stir until well combined.
- Optional: Pour macaroni and cheese into baking dish and sprinkle top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 minutes on 350 degrees, until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.