I absolutely love empanadas; beef, chicken, vegetable and even sweet nutella empanadas. These delicious fillings are wrapped in a homemade buttery pastry dough. Here is the recipe for our most popular chicken empanadas. These sell out within the first few minutes every week at our local farmers market. They are divine so be sure to include them in your next party menu!
- 2 batches of homemade pie dough
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 organic red bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 organic green bell pepper, minced
- 8 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 oz. organic sour cream
- 8 oz. organic mild salsa
- handful fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tblsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp water for egg wash
- To roast chicken, marinate with olive oil, salt & pepper. Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 400F. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, onion, red and green pepper. Add cheese, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out pie dough and using a 3” round cookie cutter, cut dough into circles.
- Place one teaspoon of filling in center of each circle, fold over to form a half-moon shape and gently press down edges to seal. Using a fork, make indentations all the way around the edges to seal completely.
- Place empanadas on parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate for five minutes while pre-heating oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush top of empanadas with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 4 dozen empanadas.