These appetizers will become a party favorite. Beware though, they will be gone quickly and everyone will be asking you for the recipe! They are absolutely scrumptious and so simple to make.
- 3 packages Athens frozen mini fillo shells
- 1 (16oz) pkg frozen organic chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup (an entire wedge) fontina cheese, grated
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pastry shells in mini-muffin tins. The tins will help the shells stay in-tact and not fall apart when filling and baking.
- In bowl, combine spinach, fontina cheese, scallions, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Side note: If you have time, I like to heat some olive oil in a skillet with a dash of red pepper flakes and minced garlic, add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes. Then, I add it to the bowl and mix with all the other ingredients. It gives it a nice garlic flavor.
- Spoon mixture into pastry shells all the way to the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 3 dozen bites.
2 thoughts on “Spinach and Cheese Bites”
Can I make these ahead and serve them room temp?
Yes! Whenever I have a party, I make these ahead of time and store them in the fridge for a day or two and then re-heat them in the oven at 350 for 5 or so minutes, just until heated through.