These muffins are absolutely delicious and packed with so much nutrition, a perfect snack for school lunches and breakfast on the go. Of course, if you are not gluten free, you can substitute the oat/almond flour for whole wheat flour.
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup oat or almond flour
- ½ cup organic sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 pitted dates, minced
- 1 large organic egg
- ½ cup Greek plain yogurt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine chia seeds and water. Stir and set aside while making remainder of batter, this will allow it to gel.
- In a large bowl, whisk oat flour, sugar, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in minced dates.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, plain yogurt, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Whisk in chia gel until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Yields 12 standard muffins.