The key to light and fluffy pancakes is to NOT overmix the batter.
- 1 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 2 large organic eggs
- 3 cups organic buttermilk
- 4 tblsp unsalted organic butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat pancake griddle to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Whisk wet ingredients in separate bowl: eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix gently, just until incorporated. Do NOT overmix the batter. It should not be completely smooth.
- Melt some unsalted butter on the griddle and using a small ladle, pour pancake batter, about 2 inches apart. Turn pancakes when you see bubbles starting around the edges.
- Serve with butter and pure maple syrup.
The most delicious pancakes you have ever eaten. Yummy!
One thought on “Buttermilk Pancakes”
I made these for “breakfast for dinner” and the kids were very happy! I added some blueberries to the last few pancakes as they were cooking… also yummy! Thanks Liz!