Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart. This is a great recipe to use your leftover rice.
We use the Whole Foods brand, 365, Italian breadcrumbs for this recipe. The traditional bread crumbs available at your local grocery stores such as Progresso, contain High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (see list of ingredients here).
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 tblsp organic ketchup
- dash cayenne pepper for heat
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup Whole Foods 365 Italian style breadcrumbs
- Cover bottom of saute pan with olive oil, heat and cook onion, pepper and garlic for 5 minutes or so until soft and tender. Add cumin, tumeric and ketchup and cook for 1 minute longer. Add a dash of cayenne pepper. Combine black beans to onion mixture until heated through and flavors blended together. Season with salt and pepper
- In food processor, combine onion/bean mixture and rice until combined, being careful not to puree the entire mixture. It’s nice to see some whole black beans in the burger.
- Transfer to bowl and add breadcrumbs. Make into burger patties and saute in olive oil, over medium heat until lightly browned. Keep warm in the oven while you make the remaining patties.
Enjoy with your favorite burger bun, lettuce, tomato and condiments.