- 5 organic potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, minced
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tblsp poppy seeds
- Boil potatoes, carrots and peas. Drain in colander and place in bowl.
- Mash vegetables with potato masher until smooth. Add bread crumbs and cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll into balls. Preheat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate, lined with paper towels. Keep warm while making sauce.
- To make sauce, sauté onions in oil until softened. Add garlic, ginger, red chili powder, cinnamon and turmeric until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, heavy cream and poppy seeds and cook for another 2 minutes until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- With hand blender, puree sauce until smooth. Pour over malai kofta and serve with naan bread.