A favorite of mine and of the kids in my cooking classes. It’s full of flavor, simple to prepare and very light.
- 1 head boston bibb or butter lettuce
- 1 lb all-natural ground turkey
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ red pepper, minced
- ½ yellow pepper, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp hoisin or oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
- Carefully, remove and rinse lettuce leaves, being careful not to tear them. Set aside to try while making the filling.
- In large skillet, heat canola oil and sauté onion, red pepper and yellow pepper over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a couple more minutes, being careful not to brown mixture.
- Add ground turkey and sauté until cooked and no longer pink.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Simmer for a minute or so until mixture comes together. Add in fresh basil and remove from heat.
- Spoon meat mixture into a lettuce leaf and wrap it similar to a burrito.
Makes 8 servings.