This pie is an all time classic dish in America, especially around the Fall and Winter season. Whenever we make this dish in class, the kids just LOVE, LOVE it. It’s filled with hearty vegetables, ground turkey, fluffy mashed potatoes and cheese!!!
If you want to convert this to a strictly vegetarian recipe, you can easily substitute the ground turkey for bella mushrooms and the chicken broth for vegetable broth. It will come out just as delicious!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp whole wheat or brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup organic chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 5 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup organic lowfat milk
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large casserole or baking dish.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery for 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for a couple more minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add ground turkey and cook until it is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add flour and cook for another minute.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and stock and simmer for another 10 minutes. Mix in peas and cook for just a minute. Pour mixture into baking dish and spread evenly. Set aside.
- To make mashed potatoes, boil potatoes for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- In large bowl with potatoes, add butter, milk and yogurt. Mash together until mixture comes together. Add cheddar cheese and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Carefully, place mashed potatoes on top of turkey mixture. Spread out evenly with the back of a fork. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.