A classic, hearty and warm dish. Serve it with GF pasta for a gluten free version.
- 1 lb rigatoni*
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1½ cups hot water
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5oz cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, diced
- 5oz shitake mushrooms, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup water from pasta
- 1 (8oz) container mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, place dried porcini mushrooms with hot water. Set aside.
- In a bowl of food processor, add onion, carrots, red pepper and garlic. Process until vegetables are finely chopped but still chunky.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrot mixture and sauté over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Season with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, cook pasta in salted water until al dente.
- Strain porcini mushrooms, reserving liquid. Chop porcini mushrooms and add to saute pan with onion and carrot mixture. Stir in cremini and shitake mushrooms and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add tomato paste, red wine, water from dried mushrooms and pasta water to mixture and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked. Add mascarpone cheese and stir until cheese is incorporated. Stir in cooked rigatoni and parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
* If gluten free, use brown rice or gluten free pasta. I used Trader Joes Brown Rice Pasta and it was perfect in this dish!