This vegetarian chili is a Cerrato favorite! I’ve passed this recipe along to many friends and family over the years, because it’s just so good and so simple to make. Enjoy leftovers with tortilla chips as nachos!
This dish is perfect to make ahead of time, as the more time it sits, the more time the flavors blend together. Thank you to Racheal Ray for this YUM-MO recipe!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large organic red pepper, chopped
- 1 large organic green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15oz) can black beans
- 1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 tblsp ground cumin
- 2 tblsp chili powder
- a dash of hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in deep pot and saute onion, peppers and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Deglaze pan with broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans and stir to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and dash of hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until all the flavors come together.
Serve with brown rice and top with shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes and chopped scallions. A very hearty meal!
2 thoughts on “Vegetarian Chili”
I just made a three bean chili lastnight! I will have to try this recipe next time 🙂
this was originally a three bean chili but personally, I don’t like refried beans so I just did black beans and kidney beans. This chili is soooo good. It always hits the spot and the leftovers are even better because the flavors blend together so nicely.