Butternut Squash is so sweet and this soup is so creamy and delicious, plus it is so simple to make for lunch or dinner. You can make it dairy free, by substituting the heavy cream for some plain, unsweetened coconut or rice milk.
- 2 tblsp unsalted organic butter
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, rinsed and chopped
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 (32oz) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat butter and olive oil in large pot. Add onion, celery, carrots and leeks and sauté for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in butternut squash, chicken broth and sage leaves. Season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked.
- Remove sage leaves from soup. Puree soup with hand blender until smooth. Stir in heavy cream.
Makes 6-8 servings.