My kids LOVE this tortellini soup and it’s so easy to make! You can make it with chicken or vegetable broth. The herbox brand bouillon cube is the only conventional brand that doesn’t have MSG or you can find organic bouillon cubes at Whole Foods.You may omit the spinach if you prefer, but we need our fiber and iron!
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 3 organic carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 organic celery stalks, cut into chunks (including leaves)
- 2 organic chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup canned crushed organic tomatoes
- 1 herbox chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup chopped organic frozen spinach
- 1 (8 oz) package Barilla three cheese tortellini
- Cover bottom of deep pot with extra virgin olive oil. Over medium heat, add onion, carrots, celery and chicken thighs and cook for 2 minutes or so, being careful not to brown the chicken or vegetables.
- Add lots and lots of water, enough to make a plentiful chicken (or vegetable) broth, the tomatoes, bouillon cube and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour or so. This will allow all the flavors to blend together nicely. Let stand on stove until ready to cook tortellini.
- When you’re ready to make the tortellini, discard all the vegetables and chicken from the stock and return broth to boil. Add spinach and tortellini and cook for 8-10 minutes, until tortellini is cooked.
- Sprinkle with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. DELICIOSO!