These are so delicious, full of tender beans and tons of cheese. This is a perfect “meatless” meal option, full of protein and fiber. My favorite brand of refried beans is Amy’s Organic Traditional Refried Beans.
*You’ll want to make your own enchilada sauce or buy it at your local natural foods store, as many conventional brands contain MSG (monosodium glutamate).
**Substitute corn tortillas for the flour tortillas if you’re gluten free.
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16oz) can organic refried beans
- 1 (15oz) can enchilada sauce*
- 1/2 cup organic salsa
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 10 whole wheat tortillas (we prefer the tortillas from Trader Joes)**
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease baking dish with canola oil spray.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute onion and garlic until softened. Stir in black beans and refried beans. Season with 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, salsa and cumin.
- Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes or until flavors are well blended.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce over bottom of baking dish. Fill each tortilla with black bean mixture and top with cheese. Roll and place on baking dish, seam side down. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over top of enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Makes 6 servings.