This is an absolutely delicious and nutritious meal, a perfect comfort food!
- 4 tblsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 3 tblsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken broth*
- 2 cups roasted chicken, cubed*
- ¾ cup petite peas
- ½ cup corn
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tblsp fresh parsley, minced
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 homemade pie crust
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tblsp butter. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until softened. Melt remaining 2 tblsp butter in mixture. Stir in flour and cook for a minute until incorporated. Add in broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened.
- Stir in chicken, peas and corn. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and parsley.
- Add in half and half and cook for another couple of minutes. Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with pie crust. Crimp edges and brush with egg wash. Poke a few holes on top of dough to allow steam to release.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
* Substitute chicken broth and cubed chicken with your vegetable of choice as a vegetarian option. Sliced mushrooms, broccolli or cauliflower make perfect meat substitutions.