This recipe if from Ina Garten, one of my most favorite chefs on the Food Network. I used my own homemade pesto sauce but if you don’t have time to make your own, there are a lot of top quality pesto sauces at your local supermarkets and farmers market.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 (16oz) fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 12 slices whole grain bread (I used Trader Joe’s Tuscan Pane)
- olive oil
- Preheat panini grill or heavy skillet.
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella into 1/4″ thick slices. Set aside.
- Spread pesto on each slice of bread. Place a layer of fresh mozzarella on one slice of bread, covering pesto. Add tomato slices on top of mozzarella. Top with other sliced bread with pesto.
- Drizzle top of sandwich lightly with olive oil.
- Grill sandwiches on grill for 2-3 minutes or until mozzarella is melted and sandwich is lightly brown.
Makes 6 panini sandwiches.