Well, I was going to post recipes once a week for our Food Jules Cookbook Challenge, but OMG…. this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is so DELICIOUS that I had to post it for everyone today!!!! I have to give the credit to my daughter, Lilliana. She saw the recipe on the cover of the Food Network magazine and asked me to make it for dinner. Well, it is so very creamy and so very yummy. You don’t even need to add the cheese at the end, that’s how creamy it is (but we added it for extra nutrition and extra deliciousness). The kids already devoured it and it’s not even dinner time!
Here’s my suggestion. Run out to the grocery store right now and make it tonight for dinner. Trust me you will be thanking me tomorrow!
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup (photo to come later)
- 2 tblsp unsalted organic butter
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium organic potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large broccoli crowns
- 1 (32oz) organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic half and half
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot. Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes and 1 broccoli crown, chopped, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Using a hand blender, puree until smooth. Add half and half and other broccoli crown, finely chopped (you just want to see small pieces of broccoli in the soup) and cook for 10 minutes until broccoli is soft.
- If soup is too thick, add more half and half. Add cheddar cheese and mix well.
Join us in our Cookbook Challenge and send us your grade!